Thursday, July 27, 2017

Slackware 14.2

Slackware 14.2 was released two days ago and, although I'm running an updated -current version, I want to use this milestone to do a complete new, fresh and clean installation. But with some customisation of course. This first post is only to organise the installation and system configuration.

There are two major tuning I want to do. First is installing multilib capabilities, which I need mainly to run Skype and Wine, and second to change KDE 4.x with Plasma 5. I'm using the Plasma 5 packages made by AlienBob for a wile and I could say that it works pretty ok. There are still some small details still laying around but the performance is most than acceptable and I like the new look of Plasma 5

Another change I want to do this time is to move Slackware to Unicode UTF-8. This is not something that I really need, but I just want to try it.

There are a couple of thinks to which I want to set special care. One is a problem I have already with the Suspend to Ram feature. I have not spent so much time in this, but now is time to solve it. Second is the HDMI port sound. Now I have to change manually the sound device output to the HDMI port, otherwise, the sound still remains flowing by the computer speakers. I guess I need to recheck this because Slackware 14.2 adds Pulseaudio, and I guess that could change a bit the sound cards configuration.

[Update] I had to change my laptop and now I have one with a Kaby Lake Intel processor (Asus UX330U). This detail did a big difference in Slackware, the current kernel version used in Slackware64 14.2 and -current (4.4.x) are not compatible with this microarchitecture. Although the computer was able to boot, Xorg failed, showing the error message "(EE) no screens found (EE)". The problem was discussed in the Slackware forum, where I was suggested to upgrade the kernel to one above 4.5. After building the 4.8.10 version, the problem was solved. I have added a new item in the list below considering this additional step in the Slackware 14.2 setting up.

Details for the step by step process, problems solving and comments are in another posts:

- Booting the Slackware installer from a USB drive in UEFI mode.
- Packages selection and extra software.
Keyboard configuration.
Internationalisation.
- Kernel upgrade.
Elilo configuration.
- Fine tuning.
- Adding Plasma 5.
- Adding Mutilib.
- Setting Hidpi.
- Bluetooth configuration.
- Sound configuration.
- Installing Wine and MS Office 2010. (What is the devil doing here!??)

No comments: