Sunday, December 26, 2010

Slackware 13.1+ i810

I have installed Slackware 13.1 six month ago and since that I have a problem with video. Sometimes while I'm working the screen keeps freezing, I can move the mouse and see how the pointer moves, but always the screen shows the same image. In the console I have found the following error:

(EE) intel(0): Failed to submit batch buffer, expect rendering corruption or even a frozen display: Input/output error.

I have tried a pair of times solve the problem, but never successfully. Now I'm going again, taking care of documenting everything.

My graphic card is: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

I used to use the i810 driver from Intel, but now this driver is deprecated and replaced by Intel graphic driver that support more cards from Intel.

The configuration:

  • Kernel: 2.6.33.4-smp
  • Xorg server: 1.7.7
  • xf86-video-intel: 2.11.0

I have found these error in Xorg.0.log :

(II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)

I have used xorgsetup to create a xorg.conf file, after that I have not seen the error again. But glxgears goes very slow yet, and possibly the video will fail again.

No comments: